Sis. Karen Sallee’s Testimony

Sis. Karen Sallee's testimony
(Faith & Victory : September 1997)

Praise God! The day of miracles is not past.

The first part of this year, the Lord started burdening me for mission work in Malawi, Africa. My dad and Bro. Michael Smith had gone there last year and the people were so sincere.

We left the States on July 3, and finally arrived in Msikita Village, Malawi, five days later. Many, many people greeted us, cheering us along as we approached the village. It was so touching. They immediately began to win a special place in my heart.

My mission was to work with the women and children. The women taught me how to do some of their jobs and laughed at my awkwardness. They were so friendly and open trying to teach their language.

We took a few toys for the children and every evening about 75 to 100 children came to the house to play. They were surprised when I joined in their play. It opened the door to instant friendship.

We had a meeting the first weekend of Monark. It was special to us because we knew the saints at home were having the same kind of meeting. Between three and four hundred people attended. Some of them had walked for two days to attend. That was a real challenge to me.

After the meeting I had planned to have Bible School with the village children. Our translator was translating my lessons into their native language and I was going to read them to the children and do crafts.

The Lord had other plans. On Tuesday, July 22nd, four of us rode bicycles and walked for two hours to the nearest phone to call the States and let Mom know we were well and things were going fine. On the way back to the village, I noticed I was unusually tired. By night time, I had horrible chills. At about 4:30 in the morning I got up and went outside. On my way back, my strength left me and I collapsed on the ground. That’s when I realized something was badly wrong. No one was around so I prayed and asked God to either send someone or give me strength. I finally managed to make it back inside and lay down.

When I told Dad the next morning what had happened, and saw his instant concern, I knew what it was. . . MALARIA. The natives do not seem to be real acquainted with the doctrine of divine healing, so Dad explained to them that we were trusting the Lord and asked them to go to a phone and let the folks at home know I was sick. They were gravely concerned.

When Dad came back in I had a high fever and my temples and behind my eyes were aching so badly. Dad began to pray for me and God instantly took the aching away. This was the first miracle that we experienced. Oh, there were so many along the way! Not only did He take the headache away, but during the rest of my sickness my eyes never hurt again. That was a healing! By Friday I was so bad that we decided we had to leave the village and get back to the city of Blantyre where there would be better accommodations and it would be easier to take care of me. It was very hard for me to leave because I couldn’t give a proper good­bye to all of the friends I had made. It seemed like we were leaving in the middle of our work, but it was God’s work and I told Dad there must be a reason, and that this was something God was allowing.

As we were leaving, Dad had to help me walk to the truck. I was so weak I had to lean on him for support. My fever was high and I was sick to my stomach, but God was with us. We had gone but a short distance down the trail when the fever broke. It was gone! God took it all away. It took us seven hours to make the seventy-five mile trip out of the bush back to the city of Blantyre. The truck we had hired broke down six times and we ended up traveling in three different vehicles before we finally arrived at the Lodge where we booked a room. By then I was able to walk on my own. Bro. Failos and his son were with us. I believe this was their time to witness God’s healing touch.

Much of my sickness I don’t remember, but I’ll never forget the day that Mom and Michael walked in. We needed the reinforcement so badly, and the saints had sent us some.

During my whole sickness I was never fearful, even when I found out how serious my condition was. I was confident I was ready to meet God. But saints, God spared my life! He worked miracle after miracle to bring me to where I am now.

There were three definite visitations from God that are priceless to me. When I was in Blantyre I was praying and asking God to please speak to me. He did speak to me saying, “Be still and know that I am God.” I was so excited! I knew that He would be with us no matter what and that was worth everything.

After I got home, I grew worse. One night I became very restless in my fevered condition. My family and some of the saints were gathered around my bed praying. I settled down and went to sleep. God visited me. He showed me . . . “this sickness is no different than any other sickness.” God can heal a fever, He can heal a headache, and He can heal MALARIA!

My third experience also happened in my room, but involves a conversation in Africa. Sis. Katherine Williams had had a vision in which she had seen me lying on a bed, or cot, and behind the head of the cot was a bright light. She took that light to be my healing.

This experience was relayed to us by one of the saints, by phone, while we were still in Malawi. One night after God had gotten us back home, I was sleeping soundly when suddenly I awoke to find a very bright light shining in my window at the head of my bed. I asked the next morning what it was, but no one else had seen it. That’s when Dad recalled Sister Katherine’s vision. Isn’t it wonderful how God works? He isn’t fast; He’s not too slow; He’s always right on time. I’m thankful to be serving a God who hears the smallest cry.

If there is anyone who doesn’t think there are miracles anymore, I am living proof that there are! I couldn’t walk on my own for about five weeks, but I was able to go to church Sunday night, August 24, without a wheelchair. God still works miracles; He worked so many for me.

I thank all the saints for their cards, calls, offerings, prayers, and prayer chains, the sleep you lost to pray for me and the food you didn’t eat to fast for my healing. You held me up when I couldn’t do it myself. I am indebted mostly to the Lord, but also to my family and the saints of God. My miracle is your miracle, so help me praise the Lord and give Him all the glory.

~Sis. Karen Sallee

Print Friendly, PDF & Email